2015 AUSTRIAN GP: RED BULL RING IS RESERVED FOR NICO ROSBERG - FORMULA 1

Breaking

FORMULA 1

Formula 1 Image Story

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

2015 AUSTRIAN GP: RED BULL RING IS RESERVED FOR NICO ROSBERG

Nico Rosberg closed the gap on Mercedes AMG team-mate and Formula 1 world championship leader Lewis Hamilton to 10 points with a dominant victory in the Austrian Grand Prix.

The German dived down the inside of pole-sitter Hamilton at Turn 1 to snatch the lead and despite suffering tyre vibrations in the closing stages he held on to take his third win of the year.

Hamilton, who had five seconds added to his race time for crossing the white line at the pitlane exit, finished second with Williams's Felipe Massa scoring his first podium of the year in third after Sebastian Vettel was delayed at his pitstop.

Nico Rosberg: "Wow, what a day! It feels so great to win again in Austria. It’s such a special track - very tricky and with a fantastic crowd. After my mistake yesterday in qualifying I was determined to push really hard to win this race. I had a good start and went into turn one in the lead, which was very important as I knew from past races this year that it's very difficult to overtake the same car on track. After I passed Lewis I was able to control the lead quite comfortably. Towards the end I felt some vibrations on the right front tyre but I was able to manage it to the flag. Big thanks to the team for a great car and a perfect race. Now I'm really looking forward to Silverstone, where I have good memories with the pole last year and the win in 2013."

Lewis Hamilton: "It was a pretty straightforward race. I didn't have the best start. I had a problem with the revs in that, when I came off the throttle, the revs stayed up. So, when I dropped the clutch, I had too much wheel spin and lost ground. That's something we'll look at after the race. Then, I was keeping up with Nico in the first stint - but in the second phase he just had better pace. At the end it was just about bringing it home - but Nico deserved the win so congratulations to him."

Felipe Massa: "I am delighted with the result, the team did a great job and it was a fantastic race. We made the most of the slower Ferrari pitstop and took all the opportunities that came to us to achieve my first podium of the year. The team were pushing me a lot throughout the final stages of the race and I was doing my best to keep Vettel behind. I knew it was not the time to make mistakes and it was amazing to bring it home."

Kimi Raikkonen: “I don’t know exactly what happened before the crash, I had some wheelspin in an unusual place. I was at a quite high speed, suddenly went left and end up there. I did not see anything coming, everything happened very quickly. Unfortunately at that time my race was over, it has been a poor weekend, now we have to think about next one.”

P. DRIVER TEAM TIME/GAP
1Nico RosbergMercedes1h30:16.930
2Lewis HamiltonMercedes+ 8.800
3Felipe MassaWilliams/Mercedes+ 17.573
4Sebastian VettelFerrari+ 18.181
5Valtteri BottasWilliams/Mercedes+ 53.604
6Nico HulkenbergForce India/Mercedes+ 1:04.075
7Pastor MaldonadoLotus/Mercedes+ 1 Lap
8Max VerstappenToro Rosso/Renault+ 1 Lap
9Sergio PerezForce India/Mercedes+ 1 Lap
10Daniel RicciardoRed Bull/Renault+ 1 Lap
11Felipe NasrSauber/Ferrari+ 1 Lap
12Daniil KvyatRed Bull/Renault+ 1 Lap
13Marcus EricssonSauber/Ferrari+ 2 Laps
14Roberto MerhiMarussia/Ferrari+ 3 Laps
DNFRomain GrosjeanLotus/Mercedes on lap 38
DNFCarlos SainzToro Rosso/Renault on lap 37
DNFJenson ButtonMcLaren/Honda on lap 9
DNFWill StevensMarussia/Ferrari on lap 2
DNFKimi RaikkonenFerrari on lap 1
DNFFernando AlonsoMcLaren/Honda on lap 1

No comments:

Post a Comment