2009 BAHREIN PREVIEWS PART 2 - FORMULA 1

Breaking

FORMULA 1

Formula 1 Image Story

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

2009 BAHREIN PREVIEWS PART 2

BRAWN


Jenson Button:
"Bahrain is always one of my favourite races on the calendar as I love the country and the circuit has some great fast flowing sections that really suit my driving style and allow you to push the car to its limits. It's a good circuit for overtaking, particularly at Turn 1 after the long straight where you brake very hard from over 300kph in seventh gear down to first gear.

People tend to brake surprisingly early here so you can make up crucial ground if you are brave. Confidence under braking is the key to a quick lap. You have to believe in the car's performance and have full confidence that you can stop effectively."

Rubens Barrichello:
"Bahrain is not a particularly quick track but it is an interesting one from a driver's perspective. From a technical point of view, braking and traction are crucial and you need good straightline speed to maximise the long straights, so the strength of our Mercedes-Benz engine will prove a real advantage here.

"It can turn very windy, particularly in the afternoon, which causes sand to be blown onto the track affecting the grip levels. This can be a particular challenge in qualifying when everyone is trying to be out on track at the last minute when the circuit is cleanest. The last two race weekends have turned out to be really eventful with the weather affecting the outcome in Malaysia and China but hopefully we can expect a dry race here in Bahrain this weekend."

Ross Brawn:
"As the first four grands prix take place over just a five-week period, it has been an intense and demanding start to the season for the Brawn GP team. Australia, Malaysia and China produced some fantastic racing and I am very pleased with how the team responded to the challenges that we have faced.

"This was particularly the case in China last weekend where the team and the drivers did an excellent job. Although we were not able to challenge for the victory in the dramatic and unexpectedly wet conditions, we consolidated our championship position with two strong points-scoring results."

RENAULT


Fernando Alonso:
"Yes, it's a challenging circuit and I have some good memories of my wins there in 2005 and 2006 with Renault. Because of the circuit's location, it can get quite dusty and the conditions change from lap to lap so you need to be careful, but there are still some good overtaking opportunities, especially into Turns 1 and 4.

"It's one of the most demanding circuits on the brakes with lots of big braking zones and so we will look at the wear rates on Friday to make sure we don't have any problems in the race. We will have more updates when we get back to Europe, but at this stage in the year it's important that we score as many points as possible at each race so we can be in the fight at the end of the season."

Nelsihno Piquet:
"I really need to make sure I qualify well so that I can pick a good strategy for the race. If we get the new parts on my car in time for this weekend then I think reaching Q3 will be possible, which will put me in a good position to score points in the race. The team is working hard to develop the car and I'm sure we will be more competitive in Bahrain where I will be ready to take any opportunity that comes my way. If I'm honest it's not one of my favourite circuits although there are exciting parts of the lap such as Turns 5 and 6.

However, the location means that the track surface is always pretty dusty, especially off-line and so you can't afford to make a mistake and run wide without losing a lot of time. It's also one of the hotter races of the year so it's quite physically demanding, although it's dry heat rather than the humidity you get in Malaysia."

FORCE INDIA


Adrian Sutil:
"The goals for Bahrain are really going to be the same as for China. For sure I want to finish the job, but I think getting points here will be very difficult. I want to keep the reliability record we have shown so far this year. It's my best start to a season since I came into F1 in 2007 and I want to maintain this finish rate. The new parts we have coming through for this race should keep us close to the others and I hope we will be able to have a good, competitive race. But we need to focus on our own performance and try to improve as much as possible so when we get to Europe we can really be fighting."

Giancarlo Fisichella:
"I feel quite positive about Bahrain. We have some new parts coming through from the factory and I hope they will be an improvement in overall pace. We've still got some way to go to be able to race for points, but at least this will keep us competitive. As with China, we've got to focus on getting to the end and seeing where we are."

No comments:

Post a Comment