Vettel: Clash a stupid racing accident - FORMULA 1

Breaking

FORMULA 1

Formula 1 Image Story

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Vettel: Clash a stupid racing accident

Sebastian Vettel has labelled the incident that eliminated himself and Robert Kubica from the Australian Grand Prix as a "stupid racing accident".

Both drivers crashed out after making contact while fighting for second position three laps from the end of the race in Melbourne.

Vettel had been struggling to slow his Red Bull down as his soft tyres performance had dropped away, and the German explained that while he was apologetic, he simply couldn't stop his car from hitting Kubica's BMW.

"We were in second and a strong position, but then, a couple of laps from the end, I had a stupid racing accident with Robert (Kubica)," said Vettel. "At the time I turned in I was ahead, but I couldn't keep up speed in the corner and Robert was on a harder tyre, so was much quicker.

"At the time we collided he was in front, but I had no where to go, I couldn't stop the car, or turn to the right and my tyres were gone.

"It's a shame as it meant the end of the race for both of us. Should I have let him go? You always want to fight. Maybe I should have said let him go and bring third back home, but that's life. I tried to defend and, up to the mid-corner, I had reason, but then I had no grip to avoid a collision.

"I'm sorry to the team and also to Robert, as it didn't just mean the end of my race, but also his."

Vettel's team-mate Mark Webber also had his race ruined by an incident, but the Australian was quite clearly not at fault for a first corner accident with Rubens Barrichello.

"I was so disappointed to drive round with a damaged car," said Webber, who finished 13th and last of the runners. "I wanted a good result for the fans today, but we'll do our best to recover from the next race on - it would have been nice to have got a good result here.

"My start wasn't too bad. I got to Turn 1 and was making sure I got through there clean, but then Rubens (Barrichello) came in to the side of me pretty hard and that was it really.

"I lost a huge amount of downforce; we had a lot of damage and I wasn't going to be a threat to anyone after that. It was a tough day for the team but we'll be back, I'm happy that Malaysia is in only a week's time."

No comments:

Post a Comment